Saturday 18 May 2013

Eurovision 2013!

It's that time of year again and 125 million people will be sitting down this evening to watch 3 hours of songs of varying quality.

As this is a blog primarily about books, I thought I would recommend a couple of books set in or written by someone from a country taking part in the contest.



The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

I'll admit, I bought this book partly based on the title, and it doesn't disappoint. The book is narrated by death and set in Nazi Germany in 1939. We follow the story of Liesel, a girl living with foster parents who steals books, and the inhabitants of her street as the war begins and bombs start to fall.



Germany's entry this year, Glorious, is by Cascada who are best known for their dance hits 'Everytime We Touch' and 'Evacuate the Dancefloor' (according to Wikipedia Discography).

Complete Andersen's Fairy Tales by Hans Christian Andersen
The classic collection of Fairy Tales. I own this particular edition and it's a really nice book to have on my shelf.










Denmark's entry, Only Teardrops by Emmelie De Forest is the favourite to win this year and I can see why; it's a memorable song with a great tune.





No comments:

Post a Comment