Saturday 1 September 2012

Sophistique Noir's Monthly Theme: Someone Special

This is my post for Sophistique Noir's Monthly Theme: Someone Special.

I've chosen the author Anne McCaffrey as she was one of the first sci-fi authors I discovered and if I had to choose one author to take with me to a desert island it would be her. It helps that she has written quite a lot of books.

Growing up, my favourite time of the week was friday after school when we'd go over the road to the library and choose books to read for the coming week. I would usually go straight to the fantasy/sci-fi section to see if there were any unread books by Anne McCaffrey. At lot of my copies are ex-library ones.


Anne McCaffrey (1926 - 2011) wrote over 70 books and I own 29 of these. Not even my Terry Pratchett collection can match that. She's my go-to Author if I need something comforting or familiar to read.



This is part of my Anne McCaffrey shelf. Apologies about the lighting.

My favourite book is The Ship Who Sang, which is about a girl who is locked in her own body with an exceptional mind, and is built into a spaceship to become a brain ship. The book follows her adventures about the galaxy.





If you like fantasy/sci-fi and haven't read any of the books yet but would like to here's where to start:

If you like science-fiction, read The Ship Who Sang. According to wikipedia, the author considered this "the best story [she] ever wrote."

For a more fantasy-ish story, try Dragonflight. This is the first story of the Pern series which follows people who can bond with dragons and have to defend their planet from the red star in the sky.

10 comments:

  1. ... mmm... dragons... <3

    i hadn't heard of anne mccaffrey before, and now i want to read something from her. finding new books to read is the best thing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely agree, discovering new authors is great. My personal challenge this year is to read more new authors.

      Delete
  2. I love her books, too. The Ship who Sang is one of my favourite sci-fi stories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) It's one of those stories that I'll never tire of reading again.

      Delete
  3. Awww, one of my very favorite authors too! She wrote some absolutely fascinating characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She definitely did :) I love the book covers as well.

      Delete
  4. I love your take on the theme! You always come up with the best ways to be on-topic but still stick to your blog's main subject matter. Thank you for sharing your favorite author with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, :) and you're welcome. It's fun to write a themed post.

      Delete
  5. I read the Crystal Singer and the sequels way back when, LOVED them. It looks like I have MANY more Anne McCaffrey books to read! Thanks for sharing your love of this author! Book Love is a BIG LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, it's great to find other people who like the author too.
      Before I wrote the post, I knew Anne McCaffrey had written lots of books but not that many! I still have lots to read as well.
      What other authors do you like?

      Delete